Children must turn 3 or 4 years old by September 1, 2023, to attend Pre-K 4 SA for the 2023–2024 school year.
3-year-olds and 4-year-olds qualify to attend Pre-K 4 SA for free if they meet the following requirements:
- Must live within the City of San Antonio limits or within the Extra Territorial Jurisdiction,
- Must live within a participating school district or enroll through a partnering public school,
- 2023–2024 school districts include East Central ISD, Edgewood ISD, Harlandale ISD, North East ISD, Northside ISD, San Antonio ISD, South San Antonio ISD, Southwest ISD, and also Essence Preparatory Public School.
- Families residing within the City of San Antonio but not in a participating district or public school may still apply to be selected as a tuition child. Alamo Heights ISD and Judson ISD are non-participating districts with Pre-K 4 SA for the 2023–2024 school year.
(must meet one)
- Is eligible for the National Free and Reduced Lunch Program or receives SNAP or TANF or Medicaid benefits; or
- Is unable to speak and comprehend the English language (as determined by district or public school assessment); or
- Is homeless, as defined by the McKinney-Vento Homeless Assistance Act (as determined by district or public school); or
- Is the child of an active duty member of the armed forces of the United States, including the state military forces or a reserve component of the armed forces, who is ordered to active duty by proper authority; or
- Is the child of a member of the armed forces of the United States, including the state military forces or a reserve component of the armed forces, who was injured or killed while serving on active duty; or
- Is or has been in the conservatorship of the Department of Family and Protective Services following an adversary hearing; or
- Star of Texas Award, child of eligible person.
All qualifying children must verify their eligibility during the Pre-K 4 SA registration process. Those who do not meet the TEA eligibility requirements may qualify for affordable tuition through our Investing in Education Scholarship program.