Gracias San Antonio: Children are Citizens Project is a classroom-based opportunity for local artists to collaborate with three- and four-year-old students enrolled in Pre-K 4 SA centers across the city.
Each classroom is paired with a volunteer artist to work together to create a work of art inspired by the city itself. As part of the curriculum, students explore San Antonio’s iconic landmarks with their families for artistic inspiration.
Once completed, the final art piece is presented at a fundraising exhibition where attendees can bid on the artwork, and all proceeds will benefit a local nonprofit the students voted on in November.
What are the requirements to participate as a volunteer artist?
No professional arts experience is required to participate. Time commitment of 1 hour per week in the classroom for a total of 6 weeks is required.
Can artists pick the age or classroom they want?
Artists pick the Pre-K 4 SA Center most convenient for them and a classroom. The artist will stay with the same classroom for the duration of the project.
What is the inspiration or subject for the artwork?
As part of the project, students go on field trip-like experiences, known as City Explorations, to various landmarks throughout the city to find inspiration for the work of art. Artists will work in collaboration with the students to bring their inspiration to life.
What artistic mediums and practices are allowed?
Artist volunteers will meet with their classroom’s teacher to discuss the artwork idea, techniques, medium, and materials needed.
What kind of impact does the program have?
Inspiring young minds through the power of art is the gift of a lifetime. In addition to sharing your talent with San Antonio youth, you are also creating a piece of artwork that is inspired by the culture of our community and brought to life through the eyes and talents of Pre-K 4 SA children that will help raise money for a nonprofit organization in need.
How do I sign up to be a volunteer artist?
Attend the Artist Reception in December, or contact email@example.com
MORE ABOUT GRACIAS SAN ANTONIO
This annual project is grounded in the belief that children are not just future citizens, they are citizens at this moment in time, with the right to express their opinions and civically engage in San Antonio. All Pre-K 4 SA students have the opportunity to vote for a nonprofit, explore the best of San Antonio’s landmarks, and bring their inspirations to life through art right in their classrooms.
Since 2013, the project has raised funds for the following nonprofits: Good Samaritan Community Services, San Antonio Humane Society, Any Baby Can of San Antonio, Children’s Shelter, Child Safe, St. Pj’s Children’s Home, Therapy Animals of San Antonio and the THRU Project.
- Pre-K 4 SA students vote for a local nonprofit to support throughout the year.
- Call for artists sent out to invite artists to learn about the project during a reception in December
- Teachers, students, and their families go on City Explorations
- Artist reception is held to provide details about the project, answer any questions, meet the teachers, and confirm participation.
- Once confirmed, classroom teachers meet with artists to discuss the art proposal, medium, techniques and classroom work session schedule.
- In January the art creation process kicks off. Local artists join children in the classroom to create authentic art pieces using a variety of artistic mediums to express the children’s perspective of their city and the places they visit and explore. The creative phase lasts for six weeks through mid-February.
- Final artwork for each classroom is submitted for official photography, to be included in the Gracias Exhibition Guide and Online Auction
- More than 100 art pieces are displayed in a public gallery exhibition (also available online) in April and auctioned to raise money for the selected nonprofit organization.